PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ A380 meets aerobridge at Sydney Airport
Old 26th May 2014, 18:56
Capt Groper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AGNIS or similar lead guidance needs aerobridge logic incorporated.

Lead in guidance needs aerobridge status positioning coordination before being illuminated as clear to proceeded. A simple software upgrade would avoid this same incident/accident.
As a training Capt I have always advised to check visually that the aerobridges are parked in their parking circles and also elevated to a high positions.

I have approached parking positions on several occasions and communicated to my crew that the bridges are not in their correct position. Recently at a major Airport I stopped short as not happy with what I saw. After parking the ground staff said that they were glad that I had stopped short as the previous dispatcher had parked the aerobridge in an incorrect position. We would have had a collision if not being aware of the threat. No Tea and Biscuits on this occasion and with less than 5 yrs after 35 yrs aviation experience I hope it never happens. My advice to the new Captains always err on the side of caution , especially on the A 380 whilst taxiing, our greatest threat.

A healthy suspicion, after 30+ years of wide body experience. Don't trust anybody.

Capt Groper

Last edited by Capt Groper; 26th May 2014 at 19:01. Reason: Typo