PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career changes for ex Cabin crew?
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2014, 16:24
DoorsAreArmed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All! Remember it is 4.2 times harder to get a job as a Flight Attendant than it is to get into Harvard! (source: Bloomberg).
If you are thinking of leaving flying as I did (stupidly without another job lined up) then think about exactly what you want to do next!
You need to consider the "factor X" that got you the the job in the first place, keep that heads ups attitude and get some additional training. I'm luckily in a role now with a Digital Marketing/app development company after doing some study in Marketing and Public Relations. We have the personality for these types of roles. Don't get all misty eyed about going back to flying, the conditions have changed, you will be junior to a 20 year old with 6 months flying experience, it will hurt, especially the lower pay scale you once had as well as the staff travel benefits or "tickets".
You have some brilliant "transferable skills", find those types of companies that want them, corporates that hire ex army/navy/airforce/emergency services, people that know process and procedure. Train up in the Microsoft Suite, it looks good on your Resume (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc), everything that you would use day to day in a corporate role (assuming that is what you want to do). Get a job as a Sales Representative in companies you can use your personality or a Marketing or Public Relation job. You are cool, you are edgy and none of your new office buddies will ever understand that crew party you had in that hotel in LAX, that movie star you met on the flight to Paris or that passenger in 23A that whispered that offer made you blush! Think twice about leaving flying because the people you will be working with next are your pax and believe me they are dull Having said that, I am loving having every weekend, Christmas and Easter off, life is predictable, sleep patterns are regular and money is better. 14 years with Qantas and I now realise that when I travel regularly for work, I still critique every safety demonstration, service standard, boarding procedure, meal without a bread roll, that will drive you to want to work for the inflight product department, you have to let go, LCC is the future! Unfortunately accountants are running the show, this will not change in our life time. Good luck in your next adventure!