PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Wright brothers just glided in 1903. They flew in 1908.
Old 26th May 2014, 15:23
simplex1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Wright brothers just glided in 1903. They flew in 1908.

The Wright brothers just glided in 1903. They flew a powered plane for the first time in 1908.

I know that books teach us the Wright brothers were the first to fly a heavier than air machine but, if one starts to study primary sources, documents of the time, he finds absolutely no serious evidence the two inventors really flew in 1903, 1904 or 1905.

There are many technical problems with "Flyer I 1903". The plane was unstable, underpowered and had propellers that appeared only in 1908, exactly in the same year when the Wright brothers flew for the first time in front of credible witnesses, beyond any doubt, using planes built in France in 1908 with french engines (Bariquand & Marre) and french propellers.

Beside the technical aspects (see the internet address I attached to this text, for a detailed analysis) which demonstrate "Flyer I 1903" was unflyable, there is also the declaration of Alpheus W. Drinkwater, telegraph operator, who clearly said:

"the brothers only “glided” off Kill Devil Hill that day. Their first real flight came on May 6, 1908"

"Wilbur and Orville Wright are credited with making their first powered flight in a heavier-than-air machine on Dec. 17, 1903. But Alpheus W. Drinkwater, 76 years old, who sent the telegraph message ushering in the air age, said the brothers only “glided” off Kill Devil Hill that day. Their first real flight came on May 6, 1908, he said." Source: New York Times, Dec. 17, 1951.

Another witness, John T. Daniels, in a 1933 letter addressed to a friend, wrote he had seen the plane being carried up on a hill twice. In one picture, Daniels claimed he had made himself (see image 1), the slope going down in front of the airplane, that had just taken off, is visible. Another picture, with the plane landed, displays a big sand dune in the background as if the plane came from it.

For more details and evidence see:

http://wright-brothers.wikidot.com

and read it with care before making comments.

1) Detail from the well known picture showing "Flyer I 1903" taking off on Dec. 17, 1903. The slope going down in front of the plane is clearly visible.

2) "Flyer I 1903" on the ground (just landed) after its last (59 seconds) alleged flight performed on Dec. 17, 1903. A big sand dune can be seen in the background as if the plane came from it.

3) The declaration of Alpheus W. Drinkwater: "the brothers only “glided” off Kill Devil Hill that day. Their first real flight came on May 6, 1908".