PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Revalidating an expired JAR PPL (A)
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2014, 15:00
mgclements

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Revalidating an expired JAR PPL (A)

Hi all,
Im hoping the combined brainpower of this forum could help my confused mind!

A quick bit of background first - I gained my JAR PPL in 2005, after which I did a handful of hours before quitting in 2007 ( could not afford the time or money to continue)

I have now returned to aviation in the form of gliding, in which I am currently training with my local BGA club.

The club has a Falke which is used as a tug and after a couple of flights with the DI I have started to wonder what is needed to revalidate my PPL so that I could fly it alone.

With the changes to licensing it has made it even harder to understand what is needed to revalidate my licence.

OK, so here is my dilemma...

I would like to revalidate my licence before next year but primarily I want to fly the gliding clubs Falke which I believe is classed as a TMG. My licence has long expired (7 years) and I know I would need several hours retraining but exactly whats I would have to do, I'm not sure....although Im pretty sure I wouldn't have to start over with exams etc

My question is, could I train for as many hours as is as needed with an instructor to become competent to fly the Falke (which of course also has tail wheel and wobbly prop differences), get a medical then do a skills test with an examiner for a TMG rating...or...would I need to revalidate my original SEP (land) rating first to bring the licence up to date before attempting the class and differences training?

I appreciate any input as Im a bit confused and would like to work out the most cost efficient solution to getting back in the air!

Thanks in advance