PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why I (may) quit flying
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2014, 08:51
Aware

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paul,

I think maybe you are a considerate chap thinking of Family, and your comments about others in this field fairly sensitive to others. Thats fine because many are not. Flying to some is their whole life, they need it, some can dip in and out. On the whole most I have met are good people willing to help you, some are numpties, some schools are full of them, share groups are usually less ego lead.

I learned at 20, gave up by 23 due to money. Had the chance of sponsorship but turned that down could n't see me doing flying for career. So went into financial services.

Got the bug again at 35, did CPL FI NIGHT IR(R)+IRI(R) + GRE carried on in FS but instructed for 10 years with some good schools, all part time, gained 1500 hrs, Re did ATPL exams due to employment propects in flying looked good, the place I instructed at had offered me the chance to fly their company ac but had no IR, still dont.

Then the recession came, and a requirement for me to gain further financial services exams at a high level which kinda put pay to aviation. Couldn't juggle both easily anymore.

So there I am in FS for good I guess, am now a company director, and was offered the chance recently to fly and interview for a job instructing again having not flown for along while, flight went well after I realised I was trying to land downwind on the PFL ha ha. Offered job instructing again and doing ground school, but turned them down as some how just didn't feel right, because I'm so busy with my new company.

During this time I have had the same wife and bought up 2 kids and have always put my Family first, and given them a good life.

Moral of my story is I have dipped in and out of flying all my life, but sometimes other things are more important, I have a career now where I could afford to fly for pleasure which I may do, finish my IR and go touring, but despite all my exams, training flying, my head is still looking out the window on nice days when Im sat in the office and as now a company director a rather nice lifestlye, so you are unlikely to get this totally out of your head I'm afraid, if you had the will power for getting the ratings, all that work time and money is not easily let go.

Take a break, make sure as the advice says above get an EASA licence, and yes maybe simplfy things, gliding etc, Ive been looking at ac shares again and getting rather excited, I'm now 50 and not ready to be totally earth bound, but as everything in life who knows what will happen, but to give up totally on it never felt great to me, but always considered it a hobby really, a break is better. And some days I miss the flying a lot, others I could take it or leave it, strange old game this.

One thing thats make me think about this game is , Ive kept in contact with lots of my students, and when they call me most complain about their jobs in aviation, not many seem overly happy and are always trying to get to that perfect job, bigger ac more exciting company etc etc, and all say keep it as a hobby for Gods sake, but the students who did the flying as a hobby and have bought ac shares seem much happier on the whole and keep going with it far longer than those who use schools.

Last edited by Aware; 26th May 2014 at 12:21.