PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diesel V8 flys
Thread: Diesel V8 flys
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2014, 05:07
Aviater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Austro Engine is certified to run on EITHER JetA1 (plus 2 dozen or so equivalents depending on your countries preference) alongside pump diesel. Add to that the economy you get from them, plus the longevity of the core engines and you've got the undeniable future for all light aircraft applications.

The V1 twin turbo diesel Diamond does 190 kts at 28000 feet burning a total of 36 litres per hour. or 18 litres per hour per side. (Coming from the mouth of Austro/Diamonds ferry pilot himself) Although the airframe is only certified to something like 18000 feet.

Austro are aiming for a 5000 hour TBO and are projecting an unlimited TBO into the future as their condition is constantly monitored via oil sampling at every service by the manufacturer.

They are also working on a number of larger applications in the 350 hp range which may already be in use by the US military in drone applications.

I've flown a couple of different diesel models on a number of occasions and I can say I was quite impressed with them. As for "ry igrht" comment re vibration I can confirm they are light years ahead of their opposite number in Lycoming. I can't comment on TCM as I've never flown a 4 cylinder 180-200 horse TCM.

In the Diamond twin (diesel), you can have the canopy open with both engines running and still have a conversation with your headsets off. They are that quiet and smooth.

Can't wait for more diesels like the V8 mentioned here are certified and STCable or fitted to production aircraft. Bring em on!