PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why I (may) quit flying
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2014, 00:59
First_Principal

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
Paul, I'm reminded of the following from Hamlet:

"there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so"

Unlike some others I didn't find your post depressing or negative, or that you were just looking for confirmation of a decision already made. Rather it was a call for some discussion that might assist you in where you are on flying at this time...

FWIW my view is that there are times in life when priorities change, where previously enjoyable activities pall, and where new directions call for some reflection on life past and life going on.

I sympathise on the situation you're in and from your post perhaps it could be a time to put the flying aside for a bit. It's not an irrevocable decision, it's neither good nor bad, it's just a decision you make and move on. Later you can return if you wish to, and take up some of the suggestions people have put forward, or perhaps never grace the skys again. Either way it's not the 'wrong' (or right!) path to take.

Personally I no longer fly much because there's no reason to. I was never really in it for 'fun' and since the work I did has mostly dried up I've moved on to other things. I still have a circle of friends from aviation, occasionally do things on the odd 'craft, and of course there's still the 'Prune so I don't feel like I'm bereft, or have lost anything in not flying - rather I'm grateful for the good times and the people I've come to know.

In closing I would say that I'm sorry to hear the comments regarding personalities here. While aviation is probably no different from other walks of life in terms of the mix of people, I've found some enduring friendships from the group of decent people I've been involved with over the time.

FP.