PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Met Office : Research Flying
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2014, 19:24
CoffmanStarter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those interested ... here are the pics I took this afternoon of Canberra PR3 WE173 at the Robertsbridge Aviation Museum.

Robertsbridge Aviation Museum East Sussex

Canberra WE173 was the 25th PR3 to be built out of a total build of 34 by EE at Preston. The PR3 entered service in December 1952 and WE173 was delivered to the RAF on 6th November 1953. She served with 82, 88, 69 and 39 Squadrons. WE173 was withdrawn from service when the PR3 was replaced by the PR7. WE173 then went on to serve with the MRF beginning 15th May 1969 and amongst it's many duties was involved in "turbulence research" from Buckley Field, Denver, Colorado, USA. She was retired on 4th March 1983. WE173 then went to RAF Coltishall for Battle Damage Repair training under Maintenance No 8740M. Upon retirement from MFR Ops she was the last PR3 still flying and is one of only four left in existence (albeit just a cockpit section now).

Unfortunately the nose section is missing and I assume the MRF livery was overpainted during her time on BDR Flight at RAF Coltishall. A bit sad to see but at least she has been saved from the Scrap Metal Man.

Coff.

PS. I salute the enthusiastic members of the RAM who have achieved so much with minimal resources.