PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most unnecessary chute pull ever?
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2014, 08:25
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jonzarno

Really I don't know what we are all arguing about certainly not the quality of the Cirrus or it's systems which are mind boggling for such a small single!
Certainly not the CAPS which is proving a must for SEP aircraft! My own position has moved considerably from the original discussions on when I would use it!
So what is my argument?
It's not directly about the aircraft or it's systems or the CAPS but about the fact that with all positives come negatives!
The negatives I believe is the fact that having a CAPS which is proving so reliable will coax pilots into flying out if their ability zone ! I know for a fact that any distance at night in a SEP is unnactable for me because I never fly without an out! Black night and there are no outs if the engine quits!
With the CAPS there is an out so I would fly a Cirrus at night!
I am sure the same happens with pilots who are not up to speed on IMC /IFR flying! They have an out in the form if the CAPS!
So for me there are two areas to be guarded against !
The CAPS having to be used because SOME pilots fly out of their ability/ experience levels and get in a mess! There appears to be evidence of that !
Secondly the systems compensating for or allowing pilots to get rusty or lazy with their hand flying ability!
Even in the jets I fly on maintenance movements below RVSM We hand fly all the way as it's good for the soul

I have absolutely NO doubts that there is a FEEL GOOD factor we need to guard against and a lazy flying factor created by the very systems and CAPS which is there to protect us

This is all getting to personal too entrenched

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 25th May 2014 at 08:46.