PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about the Qantas layoffs....
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2003, 09:14
dirty deeds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You all talk about lay offs, I think you will find there will be more to come in the near future if these problems overseas dont go away. Friends flying these Asian route routes on CX, SQ, QF etc are all reporting very low loads ( ie 85pax on a CX A330 ) out of MEL to HK. How long can all these airlines sustain these losses before huge retrenchments start to occur if not a total collaspe. Its a sad time for aviation and no ones jobs are for life anymore. The AN collaspe taught me that, never stop looking for work boys, you never know when you might have to jump ship. In regards to the QF expansion and more A330's etc, I think old Geoff would be a fool to expand his fleet and he knows it, overseas travel into AUS is down by 50%, AUS Airlines now only flys once a week to HK ( the rest of there loads are S---t, so my friends who work there say ), lucky QF has money in the bank to ride out the storm, yet this can only last for so long, CX reckons they have enough cash to last 15 months, the old school airlines have to change the way they do things other wise they are heading the same way as AN, PAN AM, UN, AA the list goes on. Wake up and smell the coffee boys, check your senority number and hope that your not in the bottom third. These are interesting times, never bag other airlines because one day you might be trying to get a job there, the industry is too small and people remember.