PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR practice.
Thread: IFR practice.
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2014, 07:44
Left Coaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Chuck,
You have me thinking…while in certain places and in certain types it might be something to put in your tool box. Think about this though, what about "practising" solid decision making first? Then maybe that way one wouldn't find himself in the not so fun position of having to use that tool? I get that things change fast in the Arctic and other sandy places, I've flown lots in both, never saw it in the Arctic but did in the sandbox. (looked like scene from The Mummy!) If a guy was to be smart and use his noodle, he or she would never end up in that position, I would advocate the same as a poster above, teach the decision making first…there are enough traps to fall into without having some young pilot believing he can shoot a zero zero if he screws up and gets caught out…because believe me, there are those who will push on knowing that they've "practised" it…not a great idea in any type that isn't CAT III A, and without proper training…not "practise" as you say.
Having said that, I have seen fully qualified heavy jet Captains "push" weather and fuel by using the excuse that the destination and alternates are all CAT III airports and then declare a fuel emergency after reroutes and holds…not ever believing that it could happen…I call it "I'm The Only Airplane In The Sky" theory. Teach the rules, show them how they work, and not to cheat! Cheers...