PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC: The World's Worst Planes
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2014, 05:32
simplex1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Labeling some planes as "the worst planes" is quite subjective.

Based on the tests done by prof. Fred Culick and his team with a replica of the plane the Wright brothers allegedly flew on Dec. 17, 1903, see (A), and the best performance achieved by Dr. Kevin Kochersberger, using another replica, see (B), one can easily reach the conclusion that Capt. Tim Jorris, Major Mike Jansen or Kevin Kochersberger were the worst pilots ever or the teams that built the two replicas were composed of incompetents unable to copy an old airplane in a museum or simply that the two brothers did not fly 59 seconds, 852 feet in 1903 and just lied which would be the most plausible explanation!

A ) Piloting "Flyer I 1903" is "like balancing a yardstick on one finger, two at one time. If you lose it, it goes — quickly, said Fred Culick …"

(1)"EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) — Aviation experts … have found the Wright stuff — in the hands of modern pilots … — is a little wrong."
(2)"I'd say it was almost a miracle they were able to fly it, said Jack Cherne"
(3)"Using that data, they created a computer flight simulator that shows the plane to be so unstable, it is nearly impossible to fly."
(4)"It's like balancing a yardstick on one finger, two at one time. If you lose it, it goes — quickly, said Fred Culick …"
(5)"Every pilot, his first try, crashed the simulator. It took less than a second, said Capt. Tim Jorris".
(6)"I thoroughly cannot imagine the Wright brothers, having very little experience in powered aircraft, getting this airborne and flying, said Major Mike Jansen. "My respect for what they did went up immediately the first time I took the controls.""
(7)"Modifications will include … . A computer feedback system will assist the pilot. We want the experience, but we don't want to kill ourselves, Cherne said."

see: USATODAY.com - Wright Flyer a handful for today's pilots

B ) "December 3, 2003 test flight of the Wright Experience 1903 Wright Flyer Replica. Dr. Kevin Kochersberger was at the controls and piloted the Flyer for a distance of 115 feet. Engine power 18 - 20 HP. (The Wright brothers claimed their longest flight in Dec. 1903 had been 852 feet, 59 seconds, engine power 12 HP).