PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seminole hire / flight ideas out of Salt Lake City
Old 25th May 2014, 03:25
zappalin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seminole hire / flight ideas out of Salt Lake City

Hi there,
I have a trip to the USA coming up, and if all works out I'm going to try and get 10 hours command on a PA-44 while I'm there.
About me - Australian, CASA CPL, Grade 2 Flight Instructor, 800+ TT, 650+ PIC. No instrument rating, and while I already have a multi rating on the PA-44, I have no PIC time, only 7 hours dual PA-44 - that's the only multi time I have. I have a bit of time on singles like the C206, C210 and GA8, so more experience than just bashing around in the training area!

Assuming all the licence conversions come through, I'd like to hire a Seminole for 10 hours PIC out of Salt Lake City, as I need 10 hours PIC on type to begin my move to instructing on it eventually back here in Australia (yes, it's MUCH cheaper to do it in the States). I have a few leads already on aircraft hire, looks like the range is around $240-$270 an hour, wet. Does that sound about right? I am open to other options or offers in the SLC area though.

Secondly, and more importantly, with those 10 hours to burn, I invite suggestions for flight ideas! On the ground, I am already travelling to Jackson / Tetons / Yellowstone, but if I can fly over them that would be great. Also would like to get over to see the Devil's Tower and Mt Rushmore / Crazy Horse - we won't be going to these in the rental car, so would only be able to see them by air only. I am aware of the need to stay 3nm from the Devil's Tower but don't know of any restrictions or otherwise for Rushmore or Crazy Horse.
Here's a rough plan on Skyvector, hope it works... Also welcome suggestions for a lunch / fuel stop. Click Here

With the remaining time, I would like to do another flight south to Moab, Monument Valley, Page AZ, Bryce Canyon and back to SLC, another sample map Here.

Finally, the time of year will be early - mid August. I'm hoping the weather will be Ok at this time of year, and welcome any advice on flying at the high altitudes in the area (we're pretty flat here in Australia!).

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!