PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed wing microlights
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2014, 21:45
Flyaways

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixed wing microlights

I am considering taking up lessons in a fixed wing microlight. I like the Eurostar very much from what I have seen as it looks like a 'proper' aircraft. I am just wondering how long it would take to get a licence.

I know it's 25 hours minimum, but how achievable is this? I'm 19 years old but I work full time, so lessons would probably be limited to the weekend or evenings during the summer.

Also do you think it's worth paying £3k for lessons up front? I know the risks that this involve but surely the school must also know the risk... is it possible to pay it in installments but tied in by a contract? (So instead of paying £3k now, I would sign a contract and pay £1k, have lessons, then pay the next installment, have lessons etc).

Also can any microlight pilots here (I'm hoping there are some) share what it's really like? I keep thinking about it then dropping the idea, then thinking about it again. I've wanted to learn to fly for ages and now I have a job and guaranteed pay rises in the next few years (joys of being a trainee accountant), with low monthly outgoings I think it's a great time to start. However I keep thinking 'surely it must get boring just flying around' (but I haven't had any trial flights yet, and I contra that thought with 'but it must be pretty amazing to fly something so small so high').