PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why I (may) quit flying
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2014, 20:54
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen everything you can see as a PPL
What's left on offer just isn't interesting to me
It sounds like you need some new challenges in aviation. Also not ones that require an increase in funding (aeros, IR, etc.)

As a airline pilot, I still find my day job has the odd interesting bits, sometimes too interesting(!) but after more than thirty years I still get up early in the morning in anticipation of a good soaring day. I can launch, stay up, go cross-country and think of nothing else but the task in hand for 5-10hrs. I’m still improving (I think) and there are always more challenges when you think you’ve hacked it: thermal, anabatic, ridge, wave, shear, mountains, deserts, different countries, different hemispheres, the list is endless.

The soaring disciplines reward concentration and pilot input (and also punish inattention and sloppiness) like no other. You get to a point flying power where you’re just sitting there waiting for something to fail to get the arousal level up, while spending several £s a minute. Motorless flight is not at all like that: fairly constant thought is required just to stay airborne and if you own your kit, the cost per hour goes down the more you fly it!

I can understand that increasing commitments with family and finance can make you question the whole affair, especially if you feel the magic has gone out of flying and you’re only doing it because you have invested large amounts of time and money in the process. Taking a break for some time might be the answer if the motivation to carry on as you are is no longer there. I hope you find a solution...