PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most unnecessary chute pull ever?
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2014, 13:48
Adrian N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what are we arguing here!
We're not arguing. We're discussing!

I disagree with the assertions that the Cirrus chute pull statistics are filled with pilots who have made really stupid decisions followed by a "knee jerk" reaction to pull the chute. Most of the Cirrus chute pulls are not the result of pilots recklessly setting off into conditions that were beyond their abilities. A few might fall into that category, but really not many. Just under half of them have followed some sort of mechanical failure, where the pilot didn't want to risk a forced landing - a really good decision in the vast majority of cases. And just under half involved some sort of loss of control, usually in IMC, sometimes following unexpectedly severe icing. Some of those were the result of really bad decision making, but quite a few weren't.

I also think it is wrong to suggest that too many Cirrus pilots think "I can press on in this weather because if i cannot handle it i have the chute". Some of them might think "if I have an engine failure in this weather, the chute will let me survive where otherwise I would die", but I think that's different. I can't find any evidence to suggest that the parachute is used as a "get out of jail" card in the way you suggest. Yes, some pilots have used it having flown into really bad weather, but some pilots just overestimate their abilities, or underestimate the weather, or don't bother checking it - whatever aircraft they are flying. Once again, read through the Mooney or Bonanza accident reports and you will find staggering examples of pilots setting off into level 5 thunderstorms or severe icing or other conditions which they had no hope of surviving

Is it possible that a fast spinning or spiral dive aircraft might tangle up in the chute? putting the aircraft in a no win situation?
Cirrus test pilots spent months pulling the chute from every kind of attitude they could get the aircraft into, and didn't manage to tangle the aircraft up in it. It has been used in spins and spiral dives, and even at 34kt while inverted - which is about the best way I can think of of trying to get tangled. So I guess the answer to your question is "no".