PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bye Bye XP?
Thread: Bye Bye XP?
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2014, 10:11
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
Well, I had to say good-bye to WinXP on my primary laptop computer this week. Not because I wanted to, but because the dreaded 'Disk Read Error' came up on Sunday, confirmed by Dell to be a hard drive failure....

Fortunately I'd paid for an extended warranty, so the technician called at BEagle Towers on Wednesday and sorted everything out. Plus a new keyboard and touch pad, then installed Win 7 which had been supplied with the laptop, plus sundry drivers. I left the system merrily downloading 4 years of Windows updates whilst I went to an excellent lecture at White Waltham by Rich Graham about his time flying the SR-71.

Yes, Win 7 SP 1 and IE11 are a vast improvement - and cost me nothing. But I no longer have Outlook Express, so have started using Outlook, which is probably more advanced, but lacks the simplicity of OE6....

For some reason, PPRuNe keeps logging me out even though I've clicked 'remember me'. There's also an automatic spell checker which has appeared from somewhere. Is there an 'options' setting tab which I've overlooked?