PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most unnecessary chute pull ever?
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2014, 09:47
Adrian N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only situation I would want it and I haven't been trained to deal with is an in flight structural failure.
That reminded me of a Cirrus crash in Florida. Here's what the NTSB said:

Although the airplane was equipped with an airframe parachute, an acquaintance of the pilot reported that the pilot would only use it in the event of a structural issue that rendered the airplane uncontrollable. Otherwise, if it were controllable, the pilot intended to hand-fly the airplane to landing. If the pilot had deployed the airframe parachute, he may have increased the likelihood of a successful emergency landing.
The pilot had 3,000 hours, and obviously thought that he had been trained and could deal with a forced landing in a flat grass field. On the day, he couldn't. He died, as did his wife. Their niece, who was in the back seat, was injured.

How about medical incapacitation? Catastrophic engine failure over rough terrain? Unexpected severe icing? Mid-air collision? I've had a lot of training too, but none of it has given me the secret to surviving those scenarios. And as for the more mundane forced landings, remember the statistic that was discussed earlier in the thread: around 20% of the fatalities in other high-performance singles (Mooneys and Bonanazas) occurred while attempting a forced landing - either due to unsuitable terrain or loss of control while manoeuvring to a landing site. That's a lot of dead people, and lots of them were far more skilled and experienced than me. Using BRS may not be as macho as pulling off a brilliant forced landing, but it does give you a much higher likelihood of living to fly another day.

You only have to look through the Cirrus chute pull statistics and you think to yourself WHY WHY WHY? needless, stupid incidences which caused the knee jerk chute pull reaction.
One could argue that the reaction hasn't been sufficiently "knee jerk", because more people have died in Cirrus accidents that would have been survivable if the chute had been pulled than have survived after using it.

Sure, people take dumb decisions and get themselves into difficulties. But if you spend some time reading the details of the Cirrus chute pulls, not a lot of them are the result of "needless stupid incidences". Some, maybe, once one has the benefit of hindsight, but at least the pilots lived. Lots of other pilots die needlessly and stupidly, and lots of Cirrus pilots have when simply pulling a handle would have saved them.