PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2014, 07:46
Corporal Clott

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
ACW

Grounding the whole fleet because a new organisation does not like the way the paperwork has been done is complete nonsense.
I believe that this is not what has happened. As I understand it there have been other problems with some of the spares/repairs and their processes.

The other thing that you seem to be unsympathetic to is that VGSs are set up to fly children (which is wholly different to your comparison of the average BGA Club that has a majority of beardy 40+ somethings that drink real ale). If your reason d'etre is to fly children, under a military registered aircraft airworthiness system that is underwritten by the Secretary of State (who is risk averse to bad news for their political party) and you are part of an organisation that has taken recent criticism from Coroners/media on the safety of their aircraft - what would you do? The actions ongoing are exactly the right thing to do. I would far rather see a 6 month pause in flying than be the representing officer at an Air Cadet's funeral.

Whenever I've been involved in events flying youths/children, such as the LAA's Young Eagles/Aviators events, the extra checks and balances required were significant. For example, some insisted that a 50hr check be done before the event and oversigned by an Inspector. You cannot compare normal gliding club operations with an operation that is purely for flying kids - the appetite for risk is completely different!

Finally, have a thought for the staff involved in this (MAA, CAMO/CAE, 22 Gp, 2FTS and the contractor). From what I understand they have been working flat out (some nights and weekends as well) to get this sorted out. Regular updates have been sent up to the very top of the RAF on the latest situation. This is being taken very seriously; and in my opinion, rightly so, and from the rumours that surround it, it was long overdue.

CPL Clott

Last edited by Corporal Clott; 24th May 2014 at 08:12.