PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why I (may) quit flying
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2014, 07:21
tecman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my observation PPLs come with lots of different motivations. Some are into flying just as a way of transport and, after a while, realize that that works well for only a small handful. Some are in it just for the image (you know the type). Others are homebuilders and experimenters, enjoying the flying just long enough to have a break before starting a new project. Still others have their own individual reasons. But some of us just like to fly, and we mix in a bit of everything else to provide the outward justification that we don't actually need.

A few years ago, when I thought of giving up flying due mainly to time pressures from my profession, I realized I was lucky to be one of the pilots who enjoyed flying just for its own sake. With that in mind, I bought a second hand VLA with a nice panel, and based it a country field relatively near to where I live. The result is a simple flying life, with minimal time overheads. Plenty of endurance for the longer trips on the rare occasions I can get away. No apologies needed if I can only make an hour on a Sunday. And the aeroplane is safely tucked up for the many weeks I'm away.

I occasionally miss a bit of 'heavy iron' but I don't miss the hassles of rental bookings, or group maintenance coordination. And if the pangs for a C182 or Bonanza get too sharp, there are plenty of rental opportunities.

Having been through the decision process, I'd encourage the OP to reflect a bit on motivation. If his interest is really just sightseeing, the advice to go and do something different might be correct. However, with all that activity packed into 180 hours, maybe he's not ranking the flying experience itself highly enough. I guess the only thing that gives me pause for thought is the comment about not wanting to try new aircraft types - that's a new one to me. But how about giving some of the low-key recreational flying opportunities a go? Very little to lose!

Last edited by tecman; 26th May 2014 at 12:52. Reason: typo