PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Linux for Beginner?
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2014, 23:48
SawMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Linux for Beginner?

I'm refurbing an old laptop (the HD died) so I've got a blank slate to start with. I've been wanting to give linux a try so I thought this might be a good time. Some info on what I've got and what I need to do-

-40 gig HD on a Compac N600c (hope the space is enough; no comments on the antique please- it's just a knock-about and back-up machine!)
-Internet conjnection will be through old PCMCIA D-Link card (I have the driver file downloaded here but will it work with Linux?)

-What I do is surf the internet, email, and darn little else. I would like to use a chat client (currently use Pidgin but can use others). I want to have the usual 'accessories' working like javascript, flash player, adobe reader etc so that web pages work properly. Later on maybe a small Open Office software suite but I hardly use spreadsheets or the other stuff; just would be nice to have. Machine had wired mouse and external monitor ports, would like them to work. Also has the stock CD/DVD reader (guessing I'll need drivers for that).

-About me: I did with DOS way back in the day (forgotten all of that), was conversant with W98/ME/and XP as far as configuring things to work the way I wanted. No knowledge of any programming language, writing macros or anything like that. Maybe slightly more than stupid with this stuff but certainly not a whiz-kid. I think the average ten year old knows more than I do about computers these days!

What I'd like to start with is some kind of tutorial on Linux- Ubuntu seems the way to go- or is it? I prefer pics and text to watching videos; I understand and retain data better that way.

So can anyone recommend a site where I can begin to learn the most basic basics of installing and using Linux for my uses? Google is flooding me with so much I'm getting lost.