PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Duxford visiting
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2014, 12:58
piperarcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IWM spends a great deal of money on minibus hire and staffing logistics at fly in air shows .
Far be it for me to get into the yearly financials of Duxford, and I know they do a sterling service running their museum and restoring aircraft. But last time I went, the place was ram packed - you could hardly move there was so many people stretched out all along the runway barriers. The admission prices, the rent from all the stalls, sales of goods and whatever, surely must mean they can man a small portacabin and a some minibus rides across the runway threshold.

I don't doubt that paying for all the display aircraft is a huge sum, and all the planning, and besides the stuck PTT issue on the day I went there, it was extremely well organised and executed, but making a huge loss on the incoming aircraft does surprise me a bit. The 'landing' fee was something like £80 for me and my Wife, plus as I have said an increased 'entrance' fee to the show. Its not like they are giving it away to pilots ;-)