PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Met Office : Research Flying
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2014, 11:00
CoffmanStarter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Met Office : Research Flying

I came across a very interesting publication earlier this week on the Met Office Website and thought that other members might appreciate the link. It covers the 70 years of flying operations at the MRF from 1942 until 2012 and contains quite a few unique photos.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pd...ARF_271112.pdf

Particularly interesting are the two Canberras that served with the MRF ... a B2 WJ582 (1953 to 1962 when W/O WJ582) and a PR3 WE173 (1963 to 1981 - Retired)

Here is a pic of WE173 in formation with Snoopy XV208 (Snoopy served 28 years with MRF until 2001 before becoming an engine testbed for the A400M with Marshalls at Cambridge and apparently is now being broken up )

Image Credit : Crown

I believe WE173 at some point also had a smaller nose radome apart from the "Barbers Pole" shown here. Strangely, through another coincidence this week, I understand that the remaining cockpit section of WE173 is but a few miles from me here in East Sussex in the hands of a private collector ... hopefully going to pop over this Sunday to grab a few pics.

A question for the ex-Canberra community ...

Would that Barbers Pole have likely caused any significant handling issues in asymmetric flight ... say on approach ? Presumably crews would have been required to undertake regular CT including asymmetric config ... just a genuine interest really.

Best ...

Coff.