PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2014, 09:30
bex88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superpilot, thanks but as frustrated as I am right now I don't think a parc contract would tempt me, but DEP SFO......I don't think any of us really believe that IAG, BA are going to pull the plug on short haul. It's the same threat which is always used. During the bmi take over it was agree to x or IAG will set bmi up as a loco out of heathrow (BA express etc etc) and all the growth will be there and you will be left to stagnate. Now it's a case of you must reduce costs, increase productivity etc etc or else IAG won't approve investment into short haul and Vueling will be the area of growth. IAG are not going to risk harming its most profitable brand which has just delivered the 4th best results in its history and is on track with its 5 year plan. All investors want more more more and IAG will be pushing BA management to deliver. In turn they are leaning on us.

I don't think you will find a single pilot who would say no, we are not prepared to agree to changes to strengthen our business. But what you will find is all of us saying we need to change how we work, improve productivity through structural changes throughout the business. Not the usual example of poor leadership of leaving the difficult tasks alone and targeting the pilot work force with a cut in terms.

Back to the thread

The only reason BA need more pilots and are opening DEP is they simply got their numbers wrong. How? I don't know but I guess it's all to do with new aircraft, delayed deliveries, delays to retirement of 767, the biggest flying program ever. I think there has been uptake of part time contracts and also a reduction in people doing overtime.