PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2014, 23:29
matzpenetration

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thread creep.......... To get back on topic, DEP recruitment will start soon for A320 rated pilots. I know it is frustrating if you have experience on a different type but market forces dictate type rated pilots as they can undertake a "short course" adapting to BA SOP's and get on line quicker thus earning money for the company. I don't agree with this policy but there it is.

As for the merits of joining BA I think your age determines whether it is a lucrative long term proposition. Under 28? It's a no brainer. Realistically, a command by your early 40's will close the financial career earnings gap to easyjet in the long term. 28-35? Then I would only choose BA for lifestyle and control rather than money. Over 35? Easyjet would be my choice, as you will earn more over the course of a career, gain command experience quickly while you still have the mental capacity to pass the course and benefit from a fixed work pattern which becomes important as you get older.

BA is still a great place to work but the gap to other airlines is closing rapidly and LHR is a tedious place to operate an Aircraft from.