PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK Raises New-Hire Bond to 5 yrs / $45,000 USD
Old 22nd May 2014, 17:30
Vortex Thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel Naivety vs not agreeing with you!

NOLIMITHOLDEM

My statements are neither contradictory nor naive. Me not sharing the same view as you does not make me naive.

I do not for a minute believe that EK gives a tuppence for any pilot or employee or views anyone as anything other than a cost unit. EK are aware that pilots are profit heads and the the REMFs are cost heads. They pay whatever they can get away with paying. So I am not delusional I just don't care as every firm in the world does the same thing!

Re is it 1952? no but I will still hold a door open for a lady, still was willing to serve and die for queen and country and perhaps I'm a dying breed. I would rather live a life by codes such as these than an existence of "being a mercenary" and ducking and diving. I am not an east end pearly king! I think there nothing wrong in maintaining honest business practice whatever the firm would like to do. I do not, should not and have not had to lower my standards just because an HR team lowers theirs.

I am also acutely aware that should be involved in a prang with someones Bentley on the SZR, even if I was sitting stationary. I could be gone in days.

The "crap country" I left is called the UK. However some of the crap jobs that I have done mostly involve working in countries where you are lucky to get paid, lucky to get fed and business is done by whosoever happens to have the most armorlites that week.

Personally I am happy as a pig in **** not to have to eat grass cutter billed as chicken on the menu, get paid on payday (anything at all is good much less what is written in the contract which took some getting used to), not be loosing my home, not have bailiffs knocking on the door and be able to feed mini VTs and Mrs VT not only food today and tomorrow but for at least the next few weeks without wondering which of my friends houses we would have to go to when we ran out of food.

I do not for a moment think that the world revolves around me, quite the reverse (hence why I advocate putting firm/queen/honour/duty /etc and everything else way above me.

Commitment and respect I am afraid are exactly as you state. The reason HR wants longer bonds is because people keep letting them down. If BA don't need bonds good for them. BA also has 14-18yrs to command and no meritocracy.

Re my bubble, that will be the world full of the ****holes that I lived, fought and worked in for the last pretty much 15 years of my life until I came to Dubai 3 years ago. So I'm sorry if being in the top 5% of earners on the planet gives you worries right at the top of Maslow's triangle of wants and needs. I am sorry if starvation, death, famine, war, pestilence, rape, pillage and looting are not something that you have had to work around but frankly I wake up in the morning happy, go to sleep happy and to have even had this for 3 years has already made it all worthwhile. I even fill the car up without wondering if I just spent the children's lunch money!

If someone takes it from me tomorrow because of an argument over the children taking dates from their palm trees in the front garden. Then I will go back, with a better CV then I arrived with an eek out an existence somewhere somehow.

I know exactly what respect is, respect is me having my opinion and not having to agree with yours without being called names. Oh and should I change my outlook or mind. I am not entirely sure that my piss poor planning, inability to deal with a commitment I signed or any other reasons makes the airlines problem.

It's really simple work comes first everything else comes second so how something could cause me to wish to leave when my career is the primary motivator and controlling issue is beyond me. Perhaps for you it isn't perhaps rather like things that move quickly in the periphery, falling from heights and the dark it sits in your mind alongside a great fear.

Perhaps the naive one is one who believes that they should be given such opportunity at no risk to the employer whilst living such a privileged lifestyle as we all do here.

You may well think 3 years bond was sufficient I may think more is. I'm not entirely sure that I am not entitled to be called naive because of that or entirely sure that you have the point here.

I am not suggesting EK entrap people here I believe was quoted below. I simply think that bonding is not unreasonable, I don't care for what a union would do, I don't really care for what you feel is reasonable. If you don't like it then don't come. If you think life is not fair, it isn't! If you want life to be fair then who is naive here?

I once got told that there is one rule for the rich and another for the poor. This is completely untrue.

There is one rule for the poor and no rules for the rich. If you don't like it, then it is life you are fighting not my happiness.

Westin anyone?