PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most unnecessary chute pull ever?
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2014, 09:11
Mach Jump

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that if we take the emotional/obsessive aspects out of this discussion and just examine all the views, we find that none of them are mutually exclusive.

I used to fly aircraft with ejection seats. Over the years they have saved many lives, but killed quite a few too.

I see BRS in the same light. It's a fantastic safety system, and I'd love to have one in every aircraft I fly.

There will be some whose lives are saved by it's operation, from otherwise impossible situations.

But:

There will always be some who will use the system prematurely/ unnecessarliiy, when there was a better solution.

There will always be some who will operate the aircraft in a way they wouldn't risk without BRS.

There will always be some who don't know how, or fail to operate the system in time, and die in the wreckage.

There will always be some who are injured or killed by accidental/inadvertent operation.

There will always be some bystanders who are injured or killed as a result of the system being operated.

The way to maximise the first and minimise the rest is by EDUCATION.

Knowlege of the system, it's operation, and limitations. Also, prior consideration of possible scenarios, and consequences of it's operation, are what will minimise the risk/benifit ratio of systems such as this.

MJ

Ps. I also think that aircraft should be certified to operate, without limitations or modifications, both with, and without the system being operational.

MJ