PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A330 overweight landing procedure = optional?
Old 22nd May 2014, 01:44
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
A330 overweight landing procedure = optional?

Hi all

Just come up for my first sim since Airbus released the new procedures for inflight landing distance calculation - the one where there is now a flat extra landing distance increment that must be applied, in case of "overweight landing distance procedure applied". This is in addition to the runway distance modifier for a landing weight +/- the reference weight of 190 ton.

Looking at the worked example for the new procedure, of how to calculate a landing distance procedure with failure (this is in FCTM - SI - 090 - Landing Performance), it clearly states that "In the case of an overweight landing both the WGT and the OVW should be applied".

However the example given is an aircraft landing at 190 ton, with an engine shut down. The various permutations of runway state, wind, pressure alt etc are all factored for but the OVW correction is not! Given that to the best of my knowledge all A330s have a MLW of 182 ton, I find this a bit odd.

Furthermore, unless I'm greatly mistaken, I'm trying to work through a landing distance required procedure based on what I suspect I'm going to get in my upcoming sim check, which is taking off at MTOW and having a dual hydraulic G+B failure. Allowing for standard ISA sea level conditions and slats at 0, the number I'm coming up with is well in excess of 4000 meters under the new rules? This is rather inconvenient considering it's a red LAND ASAP and I'm not aware of a single 4000+ meter runway anywhere near the departure airfield.

I'm certain when I did this sim profile last time we had no problem getting back onto a 3500 meter runway so I'm wondering am I doing something wrong? Is Airbus correct by giving an example of a landing at 190 ton and NOT applying the OVW correction? Is the OVW landing procedure not compulsory? Is there any other way I can get that required landing distance down for the G+B overweight scenario?