PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alan's still not happy......
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2014, 00:31
Lodown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Sunfish. Qantas management would be mad to close international. It is Qantas. A huge part of Qantas Domestic's success is on-carriage. Take away International and the whole lot crumbles. However, decisions emanating from the Qantas board room no longer hold any surprise. The surprise would be if something sensible came out of there. I'm fully expecting a renewed focus on Jetstar, further cutbacks with International and a lase faire attitude to idle aircraft in Asia.
My tip for what it's worth: Watch those idle Asian aircraft. If they get approval to operate in Asia, then well and good for a while. If they start moving en masse back to Australia, a financial announcement won't be far behind. If Qantas doesn't relocate those aircraft prior to going belly up, anyone trying to recover funds will never get them out of Asia.
Another observation for what it's worth: many years ago, Boeing did its research and established that the passenger of the future is looking for frequency in air travel and hub busting capabilities. Airbus decided to focus on the A380. Airbus wanted the biggest in comparing members. It's obvious which philosophy Qantas decided to emulate.