PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2014, 23:49
Danny42C

harrym,

Chacun à son goût ! I can well imagine the huge tureen spoon handles you had in the middle of your yokes might be hard going, but our nice little bike caliper brake levers in the spade grip were quite capable of putting a Master/Spitfire/Hurricane/Balliol on its nose (or getting a Meteor/Vampire to bow gracefully) any day of the week.

And I found it simpler just to put a bit of pressure into the system, and then waggle the rudder bar as necessary, rather than balance foot effort on two huge pedals. Perhaps we didn't use our brakes so much, as I can never remember running out of puff.

Matter of opinion, really....D.

Chugalug,

I'm with you 100% in the matter of taking whatever comes: in my experience you do just as well in the long run as those who are forever "networking" to secure some advantage. On the one occasion when I was offered (and made) a choice of posting, I got the exact opposite of my wishes ! The old adage: "Be careful what you wish for - you might get it" is very sound indeed. "It'll all comes out in the wash !", as we say...D.

Ian B-B,

Now you've got me foxed ! (what's a SPDC when it's at home ? - all I did in Blackpool was to get a white shirt, a cheap grey suit and a "Michael Crawford" style beret: then wait for a train to Gourock). AFAIK, the AFUs were set up (from old SFTSs) for the sole purpose of acclimatising the Empire Training and US Schemes people when they came back to UK. They wouldn't have devoted 100 hrs to that, surely ?

Some 80 hours has gone missing ! (Again a whiff of the Millerscourt-sourced story hangs in the air). Can anybody help ?

And in India the only OTUs I recall were a Hurricane one at Ambala (?) and a Vengeance one (Peshawar), both purely for the IAF......D.

Cheers, all. Danny.