PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alan's still not happy......
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2014, 23:31
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Australopithicus, Qantas can't close international without destroying itself.

Why?

Because Qantas International IS the brand!

For generations, Australians have seen that big red tail B747 flying overhead and they recall their own first overseas trip and it unlocks a very powerful set of memories.

for many it was the Kangaroo route to London when they were in their early Twenties. It brings back fond memories of Earls court, the Tower of London, and the friends and escapades of their youth. I also remember that incredible feeling of relief when travelling abroad when one boarded the Qantas B747 and heard an Australian accent for the first time in weeks and was handed an Australian beer. That is the powerful set of emotions the "I still call Australia home" advertising campaign tapped into.

Without international there is no Qantas, period. Nobody remembers domestic flights, We try and forget them as quickly as possible.

To put that another way, I have a very young friend who is on her first trip to Europe. I am bombarded daily with the Eiffel Tower, the Trevi fountain, the Gaudi Cathedral, etc. she is never going to forget this including the airline she flew with which is part of the whole experience.....and she flew Emirates the whole way.