PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approval for Aerobatics
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2014, 19:02
Pittsextra

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Anybody got a view on this? Is it ever acceptable to approve an aeroplane for aerobatics when that doesn't include spinning?
I suppose it depends what people define aerobatics as. If its simply an abrupt change of the aircrafts attitude, an abnormal attitude or acceleration then maybe but in competition aerobatics, for example, you'd get to figure 4 of the 2014 standard known....

http://www.aerobatics.org.uk/sequenc...dKnown2014.gif

I'm not sure what kind of aircraft being referred to but in general there is a lot of emotion with spinning and even the RAF have lost a few single engine piston aircraft to spinning.

I don't have ready access to the information, but I'm guessing that the reason that the UK declined to approve it for aeros may well be the opinion that an aeroplane should not be flying aerobatics if it's impossible to practice spin recovery in it. I tend to agree with that viewpoint. [Although, it could of course just be a lack of faith, for example, in the structural integrity - I honestly don't know and UK authorities tend not to be very sharing with such data.]
What does the manufacturer or the test pilot that conducted the initial testing say??

Last edited by Pittsextra; 22nd May 2014 at 07:16.