PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2014, 18:17
Danny42C

Hummingfrog,

(Your #5655),

Your "change of horses in midstream" (line 41 after "Fairford") threw me for a moment - till I realised we'd jumped a generation ! Some things never change - your Dad will know this only too well. So it was, and so it will always be. What you want (or what you may be suitable for) is of no concern whatever. (HF Junior, you were just lucky !)...D.

Chugalug,

To make confusion worse confounded, I've another twist to our alphabet soup:

My log attests that I flew at No.9(P) AFU (Hullavington) from 7-26.6.42. (20 days of which I had one day only (23rd) off ("weekends" were just a distant memory). But on the rubber stamp on the log, it calls itself: "No.9 Flying Training School". This has been overwritten in manuscript: "9(P) AFU" (so: "now you see it, now you don't" - but "What's in a name ? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet").

At the end of these rather hectic three weeks, they were good enough to certify that I was of "Average" Proficiency, and had shown Aptitude as a Pilot/Navigator. Armed with this, I went off happily to my Spitfire OTU.

(You may recall, much earlier on this Thread, Millerscourt bringing to our notice a strange tale about the US/RCAF alumni being found to be sub-standard, and having to be "re-SFTS'd". Could this be a garbled and twisted version of what [quite normally] actually happened ?)

On the remaining 19 days, I flew 30 times (inc 4 Hurricane, on the last of which my u/c failed to lock-up), and I put the thing u/s....D.

Cheers, both. Danny.