PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA's , what to say now??
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2014, 18:09
SloppyJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think most of you are missing the point. Only a complete imbecile would expect or want to be addressed as captain outside of the work environment. At work, when appropriate and also in company communications the title should be used as wether in the plane or out of it they are still a captain in that company. Are they a captain when in the sim? How about when an STC is giving a training workshop, are they a captain? I don't expect many of them would like to be called captain Bloggs in these scenarios but it does not change the fact that when at work they are a captain, not only when in the aircraft.

As for the comment about calling the ISM by a title, no I do not think that is appropriate. I have only ever come across first names being used in the crew environment and believe it should be this way. The only time that I have ever called a captain, captain, is on occasion when I have answered the call from the back and passed the drink order as the captain would like a xyz as I have forgotten his name. I also use captain if I have written an email to a colleague I do not know who happens to be a captain.

It should be used when appropriate and common sense should dictate when that is. Within the context of company communications, memos etc it should always be used. Just being polite and respecting the position will dictate when used in person. The changing of these things just shows how the company wish to continue to devalue our job, even in small trivial ways such as this. The guy/girl in charge of the lives of 300 people and US$200,000,000 deserves a tad of respect especially as, unlike most ground based jobs, their career is on the line every time they go to work as well as the lives of everyone who goes with them. The continual lack of respect demonstrated by some employers towards pilots is not going to stop, the bottom line seems to outweigh all else including the ability to season your own meal. It is one more degradation aimed at devaluing our job and it amazes me how some find it comical that it annoys others that the title has been removed from items such as jumpeat requests.