PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash at Caernarfon
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2014, 17:38
xrayalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear The Observer,

If you own the airfield, you can put anything on it you like: many people choose houses!

(Of course, whether it is any actual use as an airfield afterwards is another matter.)

At Caernarfon, with the south/south westerely in the forecast/METAR, I can't see the turbines being an issue except that it meant 02/20 was not available - and that would have been the runway I would have chosen to fly off in an F2A in that wind direction.

But then many airfields - like Cumbernauld, Glenrothes, Edinburgh, Glasgow Gatwick, for instance - only have one runway. So the use of them is then down to the pilot's discretion.

In this case, it was also down to the instructor who signed out the solo student. And I presume they know their home airfield better than most.

All airfields are under pressure. People want lower costs, airfield operators (and flying schools and aircraft owners etc) face higher costs. The difficulty for all is to make sure safety is not compromised in the process of saving money.

We have successfully objected to wind turbines in the vicinity of Strathaven Airfield because being unable to use certain runways in certain wind directions would have a serious impact on our traffic levels and economic viability.

But that was our decision, in our circumstances. Other airfields will have different situations.