PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reducing thrust in cruise for overspeed
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2014, 12:27
cosmo kramer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LNIDA, no I wouldn't go above max alt, as displayed by the FMC.

What I was trying to get at, was which input the FMC uses to decide on these limits. One that is oft forgotten is the selected speed. The FMC doesn't calculate the max altitude, based on the most optimum speed for that level. It uses the speed you have already select (or cost index you entered), assuming you will want to continue with this speed at the next level.

If this speed is very high or very low, the FMC will show you your max alt lower, than what the aircraft is capable of, if you change your speed. Hence, I can get the FMC to SHOW a very low max altitude, but still climb safely above it. Of course I would change the input to show something sensible before actually initiating the climb.

THIS is what my point is, an extra xxx feet becomes arbitrary, if you don't consider what input is behind it. My only concern is instead this:

"How big is my speed window in the new level." In smooth air my personal limit is 10 knots between the low and high speed maneuver band. In turbulent air, I might want to see 30 or 40 knot, which may be an even bigger margin than your 1000 feet. The difference is, I know what I am getting, and you are not.

By using the FMC, like I described in the other thread in post 108, you will always know exactly how big your speed window is, regardless of other factors. Still of course your weight, cg and temp needs to be fairly accurate.

If you are bored in cruse on you next flight, play around with the values to see how much e.g. a ton extra ZFW, moving the CG 5 units etc. affects your margins. If you suspect the aircraft to be heavier, than the values on the load sheet, you will the have a feel for how many knots that actually change on your margins.

A good eyeopener for a new F/O is to increase the ZFW with 10 tons. At first they see the and unbroken yellow band from minimum speed to MMO, they become a little wary. But after a few seconds, when they see the aircraft doesn't care and happily keeps flying, they become relaxed and and realize that what the computer says doesn't aerodynamically affect the aircraft. Garbage in garbage out. It's still just a stupid computer and the reality of nature determines if the aircraft will fly or not. And no, I don't don't do it to bother them. But to increase their confidence in what they see and feel is more real that what the computer calculates.

PS the next update of the FMC will provide a thrust limited altitude for manoeuvre
The FMC already consider thrust limited altitude based on a residual rate of climb of 300 fpm in the climb and 100 fpm at cruise using LRC tables.

Last edited by cosmo kramer; 21st May 2014 at 12:43.