PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most unnecessary chute pull ever?
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2014, 10:40
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MJ

One of my jets operates out of Leeds always windy
Some airports ban single engine aircraft for those very reasons

Totally off topic but a comment to BPF the word Hero is grossly misused.

IMO spend way too much time on being the hero pilot after the engine failure
A Hero is someone who puts their wellbeing physically or mentally at threat on behalf of others.
I could be a fantastic race car driver when all four tyres blow at high speed on the motorway. Because of my superior skills as a driver I control the car and bring it to a stop on the hard shoulder.
I am an unwilling part of the event saving my own and others through those skills.
i am not a HERO.
i jump out of the car and run up the embankment only to turn around and see the car enveloped in flames. I run back and rip the doors open dragging my passengers out of the car and risking myself in the process. i am now a HERO

To me the Captain of the Hudson river ditching was not a Hero although he was described as such.
He was a very professional and capable pilot who pulled off a superb water ditching but he was
an unwilling part of the event i.e. he had that ditching whether he was alone in the aircraft or with 200 PAX in the back.
Had he stayed in a sinking aircraft getting everyone out at that point he is a Hero

just a word used to readily by the media and me being pedantic over its common use

Pace