PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing Commander Spry
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2014, 06:17
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
MG

Did you ask the questions I suggested? Really annoying to discover that MoD claims only one employee satisfied his legal obligation to report systemic failings, isn't it? Pretty disturbing too, that MoD happily admit it and denigrate that one person; even now, post-Haddon-Cave and Lord Philip.

In the Chinook case, one of THE key documents was the AP outlining the "beyond any doubt whatsoever" test. Do you really find it acceptable that MoD could not find it or provide it to an Inquiry set up by the Secy of State? Not even an extract with that relevant section. Lord Philip had to ask members of the public.

Or that MoD had lied to Ministers regarding the definition of Safety Critical Software, but when asked could not provide the policy document stating the definition? Again, it was provided to Lord Philip independently, this time proving MoD lied and the definition they hung their case on was wrong all along. That the software WAS Safety Critical and was NOT permitted in a service aircraft. When asked for the relevant Def Stans, they could not produce them; so Lord Philip was provided with them independently, along with contact details of the original author. Law Lords tend to be deeply unimpressed with such behaviour and incompetence.

THAT is Corporate Knowledge that MoD is required by law to retain, and the kind of factual information a Centre of Excellence is required to have immediately to hand. MoD didn't. pprune contributors did. Fact.

I guess I'm in a position of strength here, because if MoD wish to argue I'm wrong, then they are also admitting committing serious offences; withholding this information from numerous inquiries and inquests, misleading by omission and commission and serially lying. All imprisonable offences. Either way, it doesn't bear thinking about.

Similarly, and back to my original point, what did the RAF Flight Safety organisation know and did they report it? We already know the MAA were fully informed, and said nothing, but I'd like to know what Wg Cdr Spry's organisation knew and did. And when. Because many people have died unnecessarily since I first reported the failings in January 1988 (I can't speak for anyone else), including aircrew I knew well. I know it is a lie that only one person reported it, because my immediate boss supported me, commissioned an independent audit, and the report advised PUS and the Chief Engineer we were right. And they did nothing. That is the kind of evidence someone like Lord Philip tends to find compelling; especially, again, when MoD cannot provide the report, but it is provided independently.

I'm fully prepared to accept that staff in Wg Cdr Spry's organisation were placed under direct orders to keep quiet. We certainly were, and disciplined if we even looked like disobeying. This remains formal MoD policy to this day, at least for civilian staffs. I understand the extreme pressure they may have been under. But, let me repeat this. People died because those with the legal obligation and duty to speak up did not.