PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most unnecessary chute pull ever?
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2014, 22:46
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LBA once tried to get me to extend down wind and orbit over the city in a SEP bloody madness.
But a city is usually pretty big so select the area you are going to do your orbit thing over. Ie if there is a river running through it orbit where you know you can put down in the river or a railway line or whatever!

Keep a content situational awareness of the wind direction, Look for open fields and above all keep the thing flying. Why should there ever be an excuse to stall, spin in or fly into a house? It is you who have done the above no one else.

Gliding down you have complete control. the space shuttle can glide in from space! If you fly into a brick wall its you who have done so.
Be constantly aware and don't fixate on landing at one point. If its not looking good go 45 degrees left or right and take one of the other areas you as a constantly aware pilot will have marked with you eagle eyes.

If I had such a failure over a City i would glide clear. If not possible or no landing site was available yes pull the chute because you have no choice.With a gliding aircraft you are in control pull the chute and you are no longer in control.

Come down into someones back garden on top of the pram with a baby in it and you live with that.

Not so bad if you know you had no choice but not so easy to live with if you know you could have glided to a better place or used your superior skills to do something else.

Above all keep your skills honed so you are in control even if that control means you elect to pull the chute.

Sit there like a Frozen lump of jelly a passenger to events then ???
Flying skills flying skills you are a pilot not an aeroplane driver good at pushing buttons but nothing else.

No one tells you to stall to spin or to fly into a brick wall its all in your control.

Pace