Thread: Missing yacht
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2014, 13:44
Lonewolf_50

Received 415 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by RHKAAF
Lonewolf
I do not understand what you are implying in your phrase " welcome to 2014 "
Are you saying that standards of basic humanity have slipped in the USA to such an extent that the search was terminated prematurely on cost grounds or that it was put into the "too difficult" category ?.
No, but you just did. Someone had to defend the decision to send, or not to send, a ship out there to further check out the overturned hull the Maersk ship took a look at.
The decision was, it seems, that with the wreck found, nobody around it, and no further evidence of the four sailors after further search with a pretty decent datum, that doing so would not be productive.
If you note what 500N posted just above me, somebody went through a formal process in arriving at that decision.

As I was not in the USCG SAR ops center, as I was not party to whatever discussion went on between American and Canadian (and perhaps other?, Bermuda?) SAR professionals, I am guessing as much as you.

I have expanded my comments in discourse with others since I posted that, please visit those posts to see if your question is answered.

It will be interesting reading if one can ever get the "final report" from this SAR operation. I too am interested in the decision process. I won't speculate further.

To repeat something that maybe you don't understand:

1. A whole lot of things that didn't used to get politicized and attract outrage in this country now do. Welcome to 2014, the age of continual outrage and the drama queen. The world chages, and not always for the better.
2. The political atmosphere in this country has become toxic at the local, state, and federal level.
3. DHS (for whom our Coast Guard work, not DoD) is as subject to the effects of that toxic political environment as any other government agency.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 20th May 2014 at 14:03.