PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2014, 12:25
Skipness One Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe BA currently also operates to NRT and HND.
Knew I'd missed some annoying as I have actually been to NRT with er....BA.
All those destinations ceased because BA couldn't compete with other carriers on the routes and as a result each was making huge losses. Are those destinations suddenly going to become viable again and be added to BA's route map just because of a third runway ?? I don't think so. How many other viable new destinations from LHR are really out there ??
After 9-11 BA re-deployed onto more profitable US routes with a laser like focus on profitability, putting exising assets where they can make the most yield. Also with Alliance traffic, some routes like Osaka could be served with a JAL codeshare, however as the economy recovers, focus moves East and next gen B787s and A350s arrive, there is a case for growth into these markets. Of course the ME3 can handle a lot of the traffic going East (Australia and New Zealand for sure) but there is still a fairly large point to point market to London. Indeed CMB has since resumed albeit from Gatters and many are still pressing for KUL (axed because of a hugely expensive airport and a dominant Malaysia Airlines, now a oneworld partner).
Of course a third runway is not a panacea however the idea that we shouldn't bother to try?? Come off it, ever wondered why Toulouse and Hamburg still build commercial airliners whereas Filton is very much closed? How much more is the British disease of apathay, dither and nonsense going to surrender?

Last edited by Skipness One Echo; 20th May 2014 at 12:35.