PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have you ever sent a mayday?
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2014, 10:31
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cross country flying in a glider, usually don't bother with a radio. But there I was, with a new PPL, radio ticket, flying in a 15 meter wingspan glider, and on the radio to Brize Radar, just letting them know I was abeam.

And then, halfway along toward Fairford, the next thermal didn't deliver. Nor the next. I am getting seriously low - 1,200 by now. Still on the blower to Brize, I told them I was getting low, and could I please have permission to land at Fairford, which was within easy reach.

They asked me to change frequency to Fairford, and I replied "unable, I'm busy" so they telephoned Fairford on the land line, came back and told me I had PERMISSION to land the glider at Fairford! Hoot man! I decided, having permission, to land on the runway. Hells teeth, I could have landed ACROSS the runway, it was enormous! But I came straight in, did a decent touchdown, rolled to a stop....

....and was met by the emergency vehicles, firemen dressed in silver suits, jeep with MP's brandishing weapons, and so on. I opened the canopy and said "I didn't think my landing was that bad!"

"No, ma'm," they replied, "we just like practicing!"

They helped move the glider out of the way, took me to the commanding officer, who bought me a burger and a milkshake and gave me 4 tickets for the Tattoo, which started the following week. He said it was just as well that I had landed on the runway, as the grass was full of stakes marking out the areas for the airshow!