PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - when to fly in new zealand
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2003, 20:36
hadagutful

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up NZ Flying

G'day Macflea

Agree with most comments above, just returned from 10 days in South Island from Blenheim down to Queenstown.

Might have been a bit lucky but weather was sensational most days especially down south at Queenstown. Clear and cool crisp days with little or moderate wind.

Dropped into Wakitipu Aero Club, very friendly bunch of folks there and good selection of aircraft.
Would need to join club to share in good hourly rates.
Unfortunately didn't get time to fly but the geography in the area is amazing; lakes, mountains, fiords, etc.
Lots of challenging airstrips strategically located also.

I imagine the Canterbury Aero Club have a similar offering and is on the Christchurch International Airport.
The transit from Queenstown to Christchurch with a window seat on the ATR 72 without a cloud was bloody awesome, the whole Southern Alps including the snow covered Mt. Cook.

Aviation plays a huge role in NZ life so in summary I reckon it would be a great place to learn to fly.

P.S. The warbird movement is also huge and if you make the trip, make sure you attend at Easter 'Warbirds over Wanaka" or in the alternate year, Classic Fighters of World War 1 & 2 at Omaka Field at Blenheim, which I was fortunate to catch.