PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most unnecessary chute pull ever?
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2014, 21:08
Jonzarno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace

I wouldn't argue with that at all.

I always try to brief land ahead options in the event of an EFATO but one thing that often strikes me is how many runways don't really have one.

There's one particular runway I often use that goes right over a city with no real alternative for a Cirrus driver to either getting back down on the runway straight ahead and hoping you don't hit the hedge too hard or pulling if you are above 500 ft.

When I have practised forced landings from the cruise (yes I actually do although, as you say, probably not often enough, and despite my opinion about the use of CAPS!) it has often struck me how little I can really see in a field 500 feet below me. Of course some fields are better than others for that but it's still hard to be sure nothing nasty awaits down there.

And therein lies the answer to your point about reasons for unsuccessful FLs. There are reasons that relate to the skill of the pilot, and there you are right about the need to keep the skills sharp; but there are also reasons relating to unseen objects and obstacles that you don't know about until it's too late.

In light of that, I have to say, at the risk of unleashing another storm of outrage, if I didn't have a nailed on landing on a runway, I'd still pull.

But on your main point, the need to keep basic flying skills current, I agree entirely.