PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea Pilot Progression
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2014, 20:57
SimonK

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
fish

Hi Helihopeful,

Your timing looks good to me, it's slightly different for me (hopefully!) as us ex-mil jump a few hurdles, but as an ab-initio I think you're spot on. However it all depends on timing and flying rate, at the moment you need min 3000hrs (across all the N Sea operators) to be a Captain. Dependent on flying rate this could take longer than you may think to achieve. I've flown with captains who achieved command in well under 5 years from joining the company, but also heard of other unlucky souls who fell foul of a downturn and took ten years plus through no fault of their own.

I'm a lowly SFO myself but the progression seems to be: SFO, Captain, Line Trainer then either TRE or Dep Chief Pilot and onwards and upwards.

Go for it btw, it's a great and challenging job that allows you to lead a lifestyle largely of your own choice. I've seen several know it alls on here criticise the job without ever having done it themselves, I've flown the N Sea for around a year now and been really surprised what a challenge it has been at times!