PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAL 331 Kingston final report
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2014, 12:21
PENKO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PENCO, as before I agree that attitude is important (see Avoiding an overrun: what should be trained? also #9, #11, before that). However, I disagree with the view that the decision is always deliberate or something which without-fail can be controlled; the reasoning for this is described by others in HF guidance materials, and in particular ‘A Life in Error’ by James Reason – his latest (final) book which provides an excellent overview
Alf, then I have an almost philosophical question for you. Will an automated warning system make any difference once you are so preoccupied with landing twenty seconds after you initiated the flare, when already visually way out of the landing zone, in a tailwind and on a wet runway?

Maybe it will. And on that basis I tend to agree with you. But it's a very big maybe!
Pilots think they can get away with a lot and the problem is that most of the time, they are right! You land long nine times and you think you can get away with it the tenth time. So on a dark and stormy tailwind night your brain will be so conditioned that you will ignore any further warnings about landing long unless..

Unless you are conditioned NEVER to land long. That's when attitude change comes in. Send out an email every single time a pilot lands long. Show him the FDM trace. Caution him about his actions. Tell him that, just as being unstable at 500, landing long is a big no-no under any circumstance.

Last edited by PENKO; 19th May 2014 at 12:47.