PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reducing thrust in cruise for overspeed
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2014, 09:20
Natstrackalpha

Location: Not far from the edge of the Milky Way Galaxy in the Orion Arm.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PENKO - Hi. you are right.

The FMGS will have programmed a spool up at that new lower level - and as you can see it would be bang on the numbers.
Also Thr/Idle (if that's the right one . ..) would command, as you know not total idle but thr idle. (a bit of thrust left in)

Airbussy logic prioritises airspeed over most other things, except RoC or RoD if Selected Vertical speed - therefore airspeed for your 2,000 descent is already in the bag in Managed Mode - usually, on that basis.

I think what the others are referring too - slowing a fast one down when in the past much older types have responded interestingly when a) taken out of autopilot and flown manually by the unawares of high speed high level flight

and

b) Sticking airbrakes up at high airspeed at high altitude.

Whats wrong with that? Well- as you already know when you are high your stall speed is higher - you go fast and you can come nearer to Mach crit, especially true of the old fogies like the 707 and the like not because they are Boeing, that great company but because of their old age design like other aircraft of various manufacturers of that time. also - other fun things at high altitude and high speed include consideration of Longitudinal Stability. Cruising high and fast is a time for being very aware and vary cagey - constantly monitoring the flight and staying away from the envelope edges.

Don`t know. Next time you are at Max Recommend consider trying it out.
before you do that - take a look down at the ground - just to see how high you are and then up at the Stratosphere - I am not being funny - I am being, on the ground, safe, with a nice cup of coffee.

I wouldn`t. - and you can ask me why - if you want . . . but rather take a look at this link - its quite cool.

http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/H...Considerations

Last edited by Natstrackalpha; 19th May 2014 at 10:04. Reason: day off