PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps – Then and Now
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2014, 06:06
Deskex76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2381 (Ilminster) Sqn late 70s. Taught me an awful lot. COs ex-RAF Airfield Construction Service and ex-FAA Corsair pilot. 2 I/c ex-Blues & Royals, so we were pretty good at drill. My first F3822 even had the wrong date of birth so that I could fly from Filton the weekend after I joined..

Besides the usual Summer Camps (Binbrook in 76 is the one of which I have the fondest memories), AEF, Gliding, D of E, sport, Wing a/c recce and so forth, we sent teams to the Nijmegen marches most years (and what a great experience that was - especially the way the regulars of all nations treated us). We manned the VIP enclosure at the Silver Jubilee airshow at Exeter so I got to meet the Reds and sit in the cockpit of a BBMF Spitfire PR XXIX. We even had a co-located GVC unit towards the end of the decade - what was there not to like? Making it to CWO didn't do any harm at OASC time, either.

Delighted to hear that the Corps has evolved to keep itself relevant to today's generation. Every time I see current cadets in action, whether helping out at airshows, at parades or up to something else in public they are a credit to their uniform and help to restore my faith in the youth of today. Let's hope that, like so many of the posters on this forum, they will be able to look back years later with so many fond memories. Long may the Organisation continue to prosper.