PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR practice.
Thread: IFR practice.
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2014, 04:46
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IFR practice.

I am just marking time waiting for an appointment to get a final examination at my eye doctor for laser surgery I had a few months ago once that is done I am off for a few months of driving around in the motor home just going where ever it is pointed on a given day. I may as well get as much time sight seeing in it before I get to old to drive the thing.

So with nothing better to do I decided to see how many of you guys out there practice Zero Zero landings when out doing IFR refresher training.

Back in the stone age of flying I was very fortunate to have flown with a truly gifted pilot who introduced me to doing every landing under pretend zero zero conditions by placing a map in front of my windshield and he monitored me while I landed in pretend zero zero conditions.

NOTE:

You need an ILS to find the runway when you practice this, and your final approach and touch down is exactly the same as a glassy water landing...the trick is land on the runway.

It is very safe as the monitoring pilot can make sure you don't crash the thing.

The first airplane I did that in was a Grand Commander which was a delight to fly.

His insistence I become comfortable landing zero zero was one of the best training I ever received because many years later it really made a big difference in completing a couple of very dicey landings when I was faced with conditions that had deteriorated way below what was forecast and I had no where else to go.

So....how many of you practice landing in pretend zero zero conditions?