PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun, Botswana. The essential guide.
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2014, 02:48
lilflyboy262...2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no problems if someone wants to start a new thread on Maun.

The problem with the last thread was that it was not written in a clear concise way with any real information to the thread other than hiring hours and the company fleets (Which was also inaccurate)
Also telling someone that they don't need a house for 3yrs is ludicrous.

The core information that you can find on the first page of this thread is never going to change.

Hiring months: Between October-March.
Outside of this, companies are too busy during the busy season (Funnily enough!) to be hiring and training pilots. Sure, it does happen now and then when they really need someone, but those spots are usually filled by people who were there last hiring season and made a good impression, OR, and more likely, they know someone inside the company.

Payscales: Give or take a few thousand pula between each company.
7000 During first 3 months
9000 for next 9 months
12000 for next 12 months
The next 12 months is something new that I don't know about, but roughly 15000 is some figures that I have heard floated about.
Some companies will pay extra for Safety officer etc.

The not paying a retainer is an interesting twist. That may be something new. As said before, nearly all the companies out there used to pay a 1000 pula retainer. At least the major three, Wilderness, Mack and Safari did.

The big and all important question that keeps getting asked.
Flight hours.

300+ seems to be the number now. In saying that, I do know of guys with less than that being given jobs.
Some companies want more, 400 or even 500.

This information gets repeated enough times throughout all the pages the the newbie that doesn't want to take the time to research a life altering period of his life, but just get spoon fed the basics, can still just read the first page, and then the last few, and get the information required.